Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Interview With the Emperor

What was it like becoming the first emperor of a new dynasty?

It was very nerve racking at first, because so many things can go wrong and so many have to go right for the seize of the throne to be successful.  As I rode into the courtyard of the palace, I was so worried that any number of things could have happened.  There could still be opposition that wanted me dead, and they could have shot me with an arrow and that would have been it.  My horse could have gotten startled by something and thrown me off and I could have fallen and broken my neck.  Let me tell you though, there is probably no greater feeling than walking up those steps, unopposed, and taking your place right on the throne.  Sadly though, as soon as I sat down, I had to get up and start molding my empire into what I want it to become.  There were people to hire and fire, jobs to be done, messages to be sent, rules to be modified, but now that its on its way, I can sit back for the most part and watch my empire take shape.

What made you decide use civil service exams to determine who gained governmental positions?

I have always been a believer in the fact that everyone should have an equal chance to do anything.  I don't think it is too fair that just because you were born into a wealthy or high ranking family, that you should benefit from nepotism.  If your a farmer and you're really smart, I'd want you to help manage my economy instead of someone who is rich and can't add two numbers to save their lives.  Just as well, if you're smart and rich, I would also want you to be a part of my government.  That is when I decided to integrate the exams.  It wasn't the newest idea, but if its not broken, don't fix it, so I set the exams in place and so far, they've worked out well.  There's not hundreds of gold bars missing nor is there chaos in the streets, which is excellent.  I feel these exams will help to grow China as a whole and make it a better place. 

What is your reasoning for having your army spread so sparsely throughout China?

Well, I believe that those who do not study the past are doomed to repeat its mistakes.  What I mean by this is in the past, ambitious military leaders have overthrown the current Emperor and I do not want that happening to me.  By keeping the generals far away from each other, they cannot plan in secret as easily if at all.  It also helps me to gain better knowledge on what is happening all across China.

Do you think this will have a negative effect on the way the military operates?

Not for the most part.  I feel that all my Generals are competent enough to handle themselves and their troops on their own.  It may pose an issue if our enemy would attack us rapidly in one concentrated location, but they wouldn't get too far because of the way my troops are spread out, they would be able to surround the enemies and deal with them.

How do you plan on running your empire with regards to the economy and land expansion?


I plan on opening as many trade routes as possible and building up the industrial parts of the Nation.  I feel if I play things to their strengths instead of trying to make everything equal, things will work out better in the end.  For example, if there are very fertile lands, why would I waste them by putting markets on top, when I could have the markets developed elsewhere and grow crops to fill the markets on the fertile land.  With regard to land expansion, I plan on taking back land peacefully, with no intentions of scaring or injuring the population.  I feel this is a superior tactic because it will help me to gain the trust of my subjects and they will more willingly listen to what I say.  People around them will realize what a nice life they are leading by living in my empire and want to join as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment